Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Menu plan

Today is my dad’s birthday. Happy Birthday, Dad! It’s also Tuesday, the day I start thinking about our meals for the rest of the week. On Wednesday, we get the boys and we have them until Saturday, which is when they go back to their mother. This is our routine every week without fail. With that in mind, I usually take some time on Tuesday to come up with a menu plan for the nights we have the boys. Since we're still in the midwinter freeze, it will be hearty fare this week for sure. Here's my plan:

Wednesday: Bacon and Cheddar Tartiflette with steamed carrots. This is a new favorite of ours, and it's SO easy. It's like eating a big baked potato, but only the very best bites.

Thursday: Italian-Style Shepherd's Pie. I do mine a bit different than Betty Crocker by using REAL mashed potatoes and covering the entire dish with them, not just dolloping. There's a big difference! This is a great, hearty dish and since it already has lots of good veggies in it, there isn't any need for side dishes. So it's a very meat-and-potatoes type of week lined up for us until we get to...

Friday:
My husband's homemade pizza!

No matter what kind of culinary masterpieces I prepare in the kitchen throughout the week, Dad's Famous Pizza is always the crowd favorite, no contest. A big part of the appeal of my husband's pizza is that it is not only eaten with the hands in front of the TV (a special Friday-night-only concession), but of course it's a hit because it's SUCH GOOD PIZZA!

So that's the meal plan for the next few nights. I'll try to take a few pictures of these dishes as they're cooked. They're so easy and very popular with the kids.

No comments: