Thursday, October 11, 2012

The next level

Well here I am for my biannual blog post...or at least that's what it looks like.  There's a cool mosque in Bukhara, Uzbekistan, which archaeologists have discovered over the course of several excavations is actually a bit of a layer cake.  The current street-level building is a mosque, but directly below its foundations are a synagogue, a Buddhist monastery, an older mosque and a Zoroastrian fire temple.  This is what my blog has become: something constantly rebuilt on the foundations of what was there before.


It has been a busy summer and touring season, which is probably why I haven't posted since March.  I returned home from my last tour two weeks ago and I'm still trying to pick up the pieces.  There are letters to write, expense reports to finish, inboxes to clear out and a US presidential ballots to complete and return.  Guess I'd better get to it...

No comments: